Thursday, July 30, 2009

Fun Match

Our debut in Novice Obedience is looming ever closer (September), and I'm starting to get nervous...

Up til this point, I've still been talking in the ring (like "good heel", "good boy", etc), but this time I wanted to be completely silent except for the allowed verbal commands, and see how he did. And I think he actually did better than he does when I'm jabbering to him! I still used treats in between exercises though.

Also, I haven't done much with him for the past several weeks because we've been renovating the house and I just haven't had the time or energy. I was curious how he would do today because of the break, but I guess it was good for him too.

And before anyone reprimands me - I don't usually train in flip flops but I was in a hurry to leave the house and didn't think to put on tennis shoes. And at least they weren't mis-matched this time :P



Comments and critiques welcomed and appreciated.

There were a couple crooked sits on the on- and off-leash heeling, and there was one point during the figure 8 that he didn't sit when I halted - not sure why... maybe since we hadn't gone a complete figure 8 before the judge stopped us, he anticipated keeping going? Not sure. And I think he picked up a paw as I returned for the stand for exam - which I didn't see at the time, and apparently neither did the judge because she didn't say anything to me about it. His front on recall was slightly crooked but the finish was good. The sits/downs (not in the video) were good except he sniffed the ground a bit on the down and I have to tell him to leave it.

Other than that, I was really happy with how he did, especially since I didn't talk to him at all :)

One thing I need to work on is my footwork for the about turns. I need to make it more like a pivot with my feet together, instead of stepping forward and spinning on the spot. I just don't think about it at the time so I really need to remember.

Maybe we'll be ok after all! At least Qualify =)

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I think you will definitely qualify! Good luck!! -Dawn and Katie