Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Holter

I put the Holter monitor on Red yesterday. He just finished his 24 hour monitoring a half hour ago. Amanda (BackInBlack) was kind enough to let me borrow her Holter monitor and vest. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. It has saved me a lot of money and worry, considering if I would've rented one, I would've had to buy the vest outright since it didn't come with the rental. She shipped it to me with everything included, even the tape and elasticon wrap. So thoughtful!

I was a little nervous about putting it on and hooking it up. I was afraid I was going to do it wrong. Plus is didn't have anyone to help me since James was at work, and I only had a small window to do it, since I wanted to do this when I would be home with him the whole time. And I know its petty, but I hated to shave him for it. We are going to the Tulip Festival in 2 weeks and I want him to look pretty, lol.

Anyway, yesterday morning Red was outside and I got everything out and set up. Put the tape and battery in the monitor and get up all my supplies. I brought him in and explained everything to him. I told him that he is going to have to wear this vest and monitor for 24 hours, and he must be very careful with it while he's wearing it. He mustn't try and get the vest off, and he has to stand very still while I am shaving him and attaching everything. He stood there cocking his head side to side as I spoke.

Then I took him into the kitchen to get started. Using the guide of where to place the electrodes, I shaved a patch on his right side and left side - the left side larger since it had to accomodate 3 electrodes, and the right side only needed 2. He stood there shock still while I shaved him. Then I prepped the area with alcohol to clean away oil and debris. After that was dry, I placed the electrodes one by one in the proper spots. Still, Red just stood there unmoving while I worked. I taped over the endges of the electrodes with Zonas tape to secure them in place. Then I attached the lead wires as indicated by the color-coded instructions, then taped over the base of the wires to keep them seated. Then I wrapped Elasticon tape (stretchy fabric tape sticky on one side) over the eletrodes, over his back, along the electrodes on the other side, under his chest and back around. I didn't make it too tight, just enough to secure everything down. Then I put the vest on him - he stood there and let me put his feet through the leg holes and then bring the vest up and in place. I pulled the lead wires through the hold in the vest. I fitted the vest so it was snug but not restrictive. I plugged in end color-coded lead wire into the matching color on the monitor. I closed the lid on the monitor and made sure the tape was turning, which it didn't seem to be at first and I started panicking, but then I noticed it was turning, but super-slowly, which is probably what its supposed to do for this type of monitoring. I put the monitor in the pack, stuck it to the top of his back, tucked in the extra length of lead wires, then put the long velcro band around his chest to secure the monitor in place. Done!

I was worried that that Red was going to try to get the vest off because when no one is looking, he always manages to get his fleece coat off. At first he seemed a bit uncomfortable, but he never tried to to get it off. I still watched him like a hawk anyway.

I wanted to do a variety of different things with him while he was wearing the monitor, to get a well-rounded evaluation. We went out for an off-leash run, and I took a route that ensured he wouldn't be near the pond and tempted to take a plunge. He seemed to want to stick by me the whole time and not go off running like usual. I threw the frisbee to get him running.

Then we came back to the house and I decided to go to the pet store to train a little and buy some chewies to keep him occupied. He was well-behaved and see did some simple obedience exercises. I bought $50 worth of bones and chewies and then we left. I decided to stop in downtown and take him for an on-leash walk where we don't normally go. We walked through town and had a couple different people comment on what a nice dog he is. Then we walked back to the car and went back home.

I gave him a chew bone and he spent the next few hours inside. When I let him out to give him dinner, I let him spend some time out there by himself, though I watched him through the window. He still never tried to get the vest off, and didn't even pay it any attention at all. He came back in and spent the rest of the afternoon in the house since it started raining. Went out to potty once more before bed, and then slept well as usual.

Woke up this morning and took him out for another off-leash run. He seemed more comfortable and ran around more than yesterday. Came back home and he spent a little time outside running around, though I still watched him closely.

Then I brought him back in, and it was time to take everything off. The tape was really sticky and I could tell it hurt to pull it off, but he was excellent and just stood there very still again. He's got some sticky tape residue leftover on his fur, but I will take care of that later.

I filled out all the paperwork and will send the tape in today. Hopefully I'll get the results soon.

I just want to say that I'm soooo proud of him. It's like he understood me when I told him he had to wear this, be careful with it and not take it off, and to hold very still while I put it on and took it off. I love him so much! What a good boy!

Here are some pics: (click to enlarge)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


And thanks again, Amanda, for letting us borrow your holter and vest! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!!!

7 comments:

M.T. said...

Red sounds like an absolute doll!! He actually looks quite sharp in that vest ;) When are you expecting results back?

Lexxsmom said...

tell him that if he feels badly about his shaved patches, he can just look at lexx..

funny hair cut, big holes and now a funny hat.

TabLVT said...

Thanks guys! I am still so proud of him for being such a good boy in it. I couldn't ask for a better behaved dog!

I'm not sure when I will get results back... hopefully not long. The tape will go out in tomorrow's mail, so maybe if I'm lucky sometime in the next week or two.

Leanne, I actually thought of Lexx while I was shaving Red. I was saying to myself that it's for his own good, and it will grow back fast. Funny how I worry about a stupid thing like shaving a bit of hair, lol

Tiffany said...

What a good boy! He looked like he had armour on with that vest and I agree that it does look good on him! Dont worry about the shaved patches, I bet nobody will notice and he will still get tons of attention at the tulip festival as usual.

TabLVT said...

Thanks, Tiff - I hope so!!

Dawn said...

Such a good boy! Hope the results are good too!

Amanda Shadforth said...

SO glad it went well!!! YAY Redders!!!

Dont worry about the shaved spots, my dogs grew the hair back VERY quickly, it wasnt long before you couldnt even tell.

Plus, Red is handsome enough that I think you could shave him bald and he would still draw a crowd. :)