Sunday, April 12, 2009

Red's Easter

Redders had a good day today. First, he got up and spent some time out in the sunshine while I woke up and had my morning coffee. Beautiful sunny Easter today!

Then we went for an off-leash run at the high school. He was such a good boy - there was a couple walking 3 black labs around the same pond Red and I walk around. I didn't see them at first, but I heard them calling their dogs who were also off leash. As soon as Red heard and saw the people and other dogs, he turned around and came straight back to me. What a good boy! The people put their dogs back on leash, but Red and I just kept walking, and Red paid absolutely no attention to these people or their dogs, and just kept on walking. Not even attempting to approach them. I was really proud of him for this =)

After our off-leash run, we went back to the house so I could loose a layer (it was getting warm!), and then we went back out for an on-leash walk. We walked down the sidewalk and there were a lot of joggers and other dog walkers out since it was such a nice day. We walked to an elementary school about a mile away and once we were inside the fenced grounds, I let him off leash again. But he stuck pretty close because we've never been in this area before.

I walked over to the playground where they was a big play structure with stairs, slides and other things. I climbed the stairs on it and beckoned for Red to follow. At first he was hesitant, then he followed me up. The stairs and platforms were made of steel mesh, which he has never walked on before. He was walking very hesitantly on it, looking through the mesh as we were about 5 feet off the ground now, but I just kept going like it was no big deal. There was a suspended catwalk and he didn't want to cross it at first, so I went first and he followed. Then we went back down some stairs and back to ground. I wish I would've had my camera!

We walked around the baseball diamond and headed back toward the play equipment. Their was a big swingset, and I haven't been on a swing in who knows how long, so I sat down on one and started swinging. Red looked at me, more confused than ever, wondering what in the hell was going on! He was scared at first, and then came barrelling toward me and stood right in the place where the swing would hit when I swung back by. He ducked and barely made it out of the way, and then he did it again! After that, he stayed quite clear of me and the swung, but watched very intently, not taking his eyes off me. Then I jumped off mid-swing and he was normal again. I took him back on the metal play structure and he was less hesitant about the catwalk this time.

We walked back home and then Red got his Easter bath. We were planning on going to James' parents for dinner and bringing Red with us, so I had to get the rotten pond smell off him, plus he was just dirty. He loves his baths and did his normal bathtime zoomies afterwards. He was so nice and shiny clean after his bath =)

I think Red knew where we were going before we even told him. He LOVES going to "Grandma and Grandpa's" house. He was whining and pacing, which he usually doesn't do when we're getting ready to leave. I put him in the car and secured him in his harness as usual and we left. When we got there, as soon as I opened the back door, he jumped out and practically hung himself on the harness. This is unheard of because he ALWAYS waits until I undo him and give him the ok to jump out. I've always made him wait until I say its ok before jumping out. But apparently he was so excited to be there, he forgot all his previous manners. I made him get back in, undid the harness, then made him wait a few seconds before I gave him the ok to jump out. Crazy dog.

He ran into their house like a bull in a china shop, as usual. He has to make the rounds and see who all is there, then he calms down. But the initial arrival is always very chaotic. We arrived just as they were serving dinner, so I gave Red his Tug A Jug, which I had filled with his dinner, and he worked on that while we ate. After he finished his Tug A Jug, he took it upon himself to go find my purse and root around in it until he found the Easter chewy I had brought for him! Sneaky dog! I came prancing out with it like he had had it all along. It was a braided bully stick - something that is carpet-friendly and would keep him occupied. He chewed on that for a good long time while we all finished our meal and chatted.

Then we moved into the living room to relax and chat and watch golf (ugh) on TV. James's dad especially loves Red and always gets down on the floor with him to play. For some ungodly reason, I brought this over-sized squeaky, super-annoying tennis ball and let him play with it. Here's a video of James's dad and Red:



Shortly after this, I took the ball away because it was giving everyone a headache. And then Red and his Grandpa wrestled a bit. After that, Red started getting sleepy and I made him lay down. If I don't tell him to lay down, he will just wander around aimlessly because he's afraid to miss something. He wasn't getting into trouble or anything, but he'd just pace around and not settle anywhere. So I made him lay down and then he was out like a light. After awhile, James's mom commented that she forgot Red was even there.

Every time he goes over there, he is better and better. James's mom even loves him and comments on what a good, well-behaved boy he is. She said she'd like to have him with her if she was ever home alone =)

We left and Redders is now passed out in the living room. He had a good, tiring Easter. A tired dog is a good dog =)

4 comments:

Lexxsmom said...

Lexx does the exact same thing! He's like toddler when he's tired, needs to sleep, but he WONT and he paces around and around

TabLVT said...

Yeah sometimes I have to MAKE him lay down and stay for him to actually relax!

Kathie R said...

Hi Tab and Red, Really enjoy reading about all the things you and Red do. Sounds like he has a lot of energy!

I'm passing the "Honest Scrap" blog award on to you, in case you haven't already received it. I had fun thinking up 10 honest things about Jackson.

Kathie

TabLVT said...

Thanks, Kathie! Yes, he does have a lot of energy...LOL!