Thursday, November 13, 2008

Bang! You're dead!

Last night I started teaching Red to "play dead" after I shoot him with a finger gun =) It's been awhile since he's learned anything new and I wanted to try something fun.

So I got the clicker out and a pocket full of treats and kneeled on the floor facing him while he sat in front of me. I had the clicker and a treat in my left hand, and made a "gun" with my right hand. I said "BANG!" and then pointed to the floor which is the signal for down. He went down into a crouch, then I sort of directed him over so he rolled on his side - then click/treat. After a couple times, he realized he doesn't get a c/t until he is laying on his side, so after I said "BANG!", he'd go into a down and then flop on his side. It's amazing how quickly he picked it up. He doesn't stay in the position long because after I c/t, he gets up to accept his treat, and he doesn't lay his head all the way down yet, but I think its a good start.

I did it again this morning, just to see if he remember what he was supposed to do. I got the clicker and treats out again, had him sit in front of me, then said "BANG!". He sort of looked at me funny, so I pointed to the floor, and then he seemed to remember and went into a roll onto his side.

I only use the clicker when I am teaching him something new, so he gets all excited when I get the clicker out, because it means treats are coming! He loves it!

We'll continue to work on his new trick and I'll probably post a video of it at some point =)

EDITED TO ADD: Here is a video of Red learning to play dead.

2 comments:

Lexxsmom said...

Lexx loves BANG... but i taught him bang with roll over... so sometimes he gets mixed up.

TabLVT said...

It's such a funny trick and people think its so cool! That's neat that Lexx knows it too =)