Saturday, November 15, 2008

Training Class

Had another Saturday morning training class. We haven't been to one in awhile so I was glad to be able to go again.

We got there about 10 minutes early and warmed up a little, but mostly played tug. I showed Michelle our new "bang!" trick and Red did great. All the normal dogs showed up, plus one huge black Newfoundland. Red was transfixed by this dog and wanted to approach him so bad, whining and carrying on. We did some focus exercises and heeling in the other direction and then he was better.

Heeling went fine as usual. Focus wasn't as great though, so I made a point to reward more for eye contact. Next was the figure 8's and we got paired up with the Newfy and his handler, as well as a Boxer and her handler. Red and I went first, while the handlers and their dogs acted as the posts. During the set-up, the Newfy's handler had a bag of (apparently) yummy-looking treats because Red would not take his eyes off her. I had to pop his collar and get stern with him to get his attention back and get him into position. Once we started heeling, he completely ignored me and started to approach the Newfy's handler. I gave him a good correction - which is very few and far in between with me - and then Red stayed with me after that. He even stayed acceptably focused on me when we were the posts and it was the Newfy's turn to run.

Then we did stand for exam, and Red did really well. I don't feel like I have to stack him or really touch him at all when he stands himself. I've been told to make him off balance so he sets himself up better, but I find that if I touch him, he tends to move more and not stay in place. So I've decided not to touch him at all. He stood for the exam and attempted to sniff a bit, but didn't move his feet at all.

Then we did long sits and downs (3 minute sit, 5 minute down). For the sit this time, I went clear across the room. He did really well for a long time, then the Newfy who was sitting next to him kept breaking position and attempting to go to his handler. After that, Red went down. So I went and put him back into a sit, then turned to walk away and he went down again when my back was turned. I walked back, put him back into a sit and sternly told him to stay. A few seconds after that, the long sit was over.

I quietly praised and gave a treat and he didn't get up out of position. Then we went straight into the long down. We had a bit of an issue at first because when I said "down", he went into a side flop like "bang!". After doing this twice, I said "Red, no - DOWN". And he went down into a sphinx-down, then popped onto a hip, which is what I want. After that, he did GREAT. I went across the room again, and decided not to go back and treat him at all if I could help it. I watched him closely for any signs of moving. About 3/4 of the way through the time, the Newfy got up, walked over to Red and started sniffing him! I said, "Red, leave it" and he started straight ahead and unmoving as the Newfy continued to sniff him. I was so proud! He didn't attempt to get up, move or anything, just continued staring at me. The Newfy's handler went back to him and put him back in position. Once she had him back in place, I returned to Red and praised a lot and rewarded. Then walked away again, and shortly after that, the long down was over. We did a good play session after that one - I was really proud of him for not reacting in any way when the Newfy was sniffing and standing over him. What a good Redders =)

Then we did recalls. He's still coming in a bit crooked. I had a brain lapse on the first run and finished him after the recall, which I'm not supposed to do because this anticipation of the finish may be causing him to sit crooked to begin with. But I also think its because I tend to treat with my right hand, so he sits angled toward my right hand. So I'm going to start treating with my left hand instead and see if that helps.

Then everyone started setting up their broad jumps and fences and things to do more Open and Utility things. I practiced shorter recalls with Red, though didn't make much progress with the straight fronts. Then we regressed and worked on downs - he didn't go into a side flop at all now. I've made up my mind not to do "bang!" in training-type environments, only at home as a fun trick. I really don't want him to think he can flop on his side at all during obedience training.

Then we went back to the car and Red got his usual jackpot of finishing off the treats in the treat pouch =)

4 comments:

Lexxsmom said...

i have a suggestion for the crooked fronts.

try training it holding treats in BOTH hands and keeping your hands straight down at your sides. then when you go to give the treat, bring both hands in and treat him around your belt buckle. This way he won't know which hand the treat came from and may stop anticipating anything.

just a thought! :)

TabLVT said...

I've tried that too and it doesn't seem to make a difference. My instructor tells me to back up a few steps and lure him into a straight sit when he's coming in but he stills swings his ass out to his right (my left). I don't get it. Thanks for the suggestion, Leanne. I guess we'll keep working on it...

doberkim said...

I'm fighting Rah's crooked fronts and have been his entire career - and its killing us in prep for open. We've got tons of thigns to work with, from front boxes to platforms to dowels. part of it does depend on why they do it - rah doesnt do it because of food because i always feed from my mouth (but i know you dont). i actually have sent out a bunch of emails asking for MORE help for his fronts, because even if his regular fronts are ok, his ones with the db in his mouth are horrible because he gets so focused on the db that he loses his mind.

mercury always goes down on his side for the long down - its her insurance policy he wont move :) he actually falls asleep on the long down :) rah wont even pop a hip, so he's in a sphinx the entire time, which i hate. but he refuses to take a hip - he sits there in complete attention (even on out of sight) just waiting...waiting...waiting. he never relaxes.

TabLVT said...

I didn't realize the dog was allowed to be fully on his side for the down. I thought they had to be sitting up, either in a sphinx-down, or rolled onto a hip. That's interesting!

Has your front box helped at all? I was thinking of making a PVC pipe front box, but I've been putting it off thinking I can correct it without needing to. I have wooden dowels that I was using to get him to move his rear and stay close in the left turns, but I haven't used this for fronts. Do you just set them down on the ground or are you holding them in your hands? I'm willing to try something else at this point!