Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Jog/Walk and some training along the way

After I got home from work today, and Red chased some squirrels as usual, we went for a jog/walk. I say "jog/walk" because I am NOT a long distance runner and cannot keep a jogging pace for any length of time - especially with as out of shape as I am. I'd say we go for about a 1/4 mile at a time, and then I feel like I'm going to die and slow to a walk. Red, of course, keeps looking at me as he paces along beside me, that I am SLOW and he would appreciate it if he were allowed to break into a full gallop. I have these fantasies of me with a pair of rollerblades and Red leading the way, but then reality sets in and I realize that (first of all) I have absolutely no skill on rollerblades, especially with stopping, and hence, strapping myself to Red the tireless sprinter is probably not such a wise idea.

Anyway, we stopped at the local vet clinic to weigh the Redders. He is 80.8 lbs. Exactly the same as he was a couple months ago - I think this is a good weight for him. There was no one in the waiting room except the two receptionists, but we used the opportunity to practice some heeling, fronts and finishes, which he did well for. He's really coming along nicely!

After leaving the vet clinic, we proceed to walk the remaining mile or so to hubby's work to visit him. I didn't really plan on working him there, but he was giving me such good attention that I couldn't ignore him, so we continued to work. We did more fronts and finishes, and working on the moving down (which is starting to look a bit nicer), and also a long sit/stay. The customers that came into the store were very impressed with him =)

On a sort of unrelated note, I have discovered that Red LOVES popcorn! I don't think popcorn is bad for dogs... is it? If not, I will buy some plain, non-buttered, non-salted popcorn and use it for training sessions.

I am planning on dropping into the advanced class at my training facility tomorrow night after work, but we will see if I get out on time to make it or not. Michelle, the instructor who taught our intermediate class and who has been my training mentor, invited us to drop by the advanced class that she teaches on Wednesday nights. Also, I have this Saturday off so Red and I can attend the Saturday morning obedience group with the experienced CDX dogs. It's been almost a month since we've been there so I'm really looking forward to it. =)

2 comments:

M.T. said...

Don't know about popcorn, but isn't corn supposedly not good for dogs for some reason??

Lexxsmom said...

corn isnt so good for dogs, agree, but lexx also LOVES popcorn. mind you, he also love green beans and has been known to turn down steak, so perhaps his opinons aren't to be taken seriously?

i enjoy your jog/walk because i am EXACTLY the same way.