Sunday, October 5, 2008

Lost motivation

Our last couple training sessions have been a bust. By this, I mean Red's head has not been in the game. There must be something I'm not doing right. Am I too boring? Too drilling? Are we doing too much of the same boring exercises over and over? Are the treats not tasty enough? I don't know, but something's got to give here. Maybe we both need some time off. But I really can't afford that with our first Rally trial looming closer and closer. We both need all the training time we can get. Maybe this is my problem - I'm too focused on perfection, and not focused enough on fun, and Red is picking up on it. I wouldn't be motivated either if my teacher wanted everything perfect and didn't make it fun to do... ugh, I feel like I am failing him somehow.

We don't train every single day as it is, so when we do train, I want a good session. Should I schedule training time every single day? Or just when I think he would do well? I don't know. I feel so lost. We haven't been to our Saturday morning class in 3 weeks due to my stupid work schedule. I have the next 2 Saturdays off, though, so maybe this will help. Sure, I can get tastier treats, but I want Red to work for me, not for the treats.

Am I expecting too much? I've never trained a dog before and I feel like I am ruining him or something. He is capable of so much, but is being held back because I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I need some professional advice - something to give me some direction, and some hope that I'm doing the right thing in thinking we can compete in obedience... Because right now, I'm not so sure.

4 comments:

M.T. said...

You're not alone!! I've been there quite a few times! When it gets really bad i always feel like i'm "wasting" Dante's potential by being such a lousy handler, ugh. But you know what? Red LOVES you, and i bet you know that in his heart he lives to see you HAPPY. So yes, some of your frustration is probably rubbing off on him ... i have to constantly remind myself to be upbeat and always look on the positive side. You have a great network of support too from others who have done it or am going through the same thing (like me!), so keep at it, take breaks when it gets really tough, and be good to yourself!

I went to a CKC Rally O trial today and i can honestly say, from what i've seen, you and Red are doing VERY WELL, enough to rival some of the really good teams i saw today :)

TabLVT said...

Thank you so much, Maylissa!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the encouragement - especially the last bit. I really needed it yesterday! *hugs*

Anonymous said...

come now, you KNOW that you and Red are awesome, no questions asked there. I would kill for 1/8 of the attention that he gives you!

just relax a little, you're probably getting nervous because you want him perfect ( been there, done that) and he's like, hey? mom? its me Red... I love you? why are you stressed? am I not good enough? oh my god do you not love me? is the sky falling? ohhh myyyy goooddd!!! ( hahahaha, see? stressed!)

just have fun!

TabLVT said...

haha, thanks, Leanne - you are right! I'm being too hard on both of us. I need to accept the ups and the downs as part of life, and not stress over the little things. Thanks for dropping by and for the comment! =)