Friday, May 8, 2009

Fun Match today

Red and I went to a different Fun Match than usual this time. This one not only does Obedience but Rally too. Plus it seemed more organized and went faster so that was good.

We did the Novice Obedience run first. Nothing too bad about any of it. Some bumping and forging on the heeling, and got some advice about my footwork on the about turns and slow pace. Less bumping on the figure 8 than we have had in the past, so that was good. Stand for exam was good. The recall... still a work in progress. I backed up and sort up lined myself up with him to get him to come in straight, but still didn't quite get it. I rewarded even though I shouldn't have on hindsight. I need to stop rewarding for crooked fronts... *sigh* Long sits/downs were rock solid and awesome though!!

The rally ring was TINY and cramped. They crammed like 30 stations in a miniscule ring so they were all right on top of the other. By the time I finished one sign, I was pretty much on top of the next one. I got lost once, and Red was not very focused because I didn't know what the hell I was doing. There were a couple signs in there that I hadn't practiced before - the offset figure 8 was one of them. Red did ok through it with the stuffy toys as distractions, but on the way back by for another sign, he plucked one out of the bowl. Correction for that... But we made it through. It was pretty ugly, LOL

Critiques: Notes to self:

Heeling:
1. Work on about turn footwork
2. Make slow pace steps bigger so he doesn't try to sit in between
3. Put leash behind my back to correct forging
4. Allow 2-3 steps after the judge says "halt" to actually stop, don't just do it abruptly.

Recall:
1. Don't follow the line of the mat or the judge can tell easier if the dog isn't straight.
2. Don't step to line yourself up with the dog, lure the dog to line up with you.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Where did you go for the fun match? - Dawn and Katie

TabLVT said...

It was at Sportsmen's Club in Warren (696 & Dequindre). I liked it better than the ones at Companion in Flint.

Dawn said...

Ah..I went to one there too, and liked it, long drive though.

TabLVT said...

Yeah its about the same distance for me as Flint, so it wasn't too bad.