Friday, May 8, 2009

Peed on the floor? WTF??

Today I took Red for an off-leash walk, and we got back home around 11:30am. He stayed outside for another 15 minutes or so, then I brought him in and took a shower and got ready for work. I left for work at 1pm. I didn't let him back out before I left, because I was in a hurry and preoccupied with getting Titus in the carrier to take him to work with me for blood and urine testing for him peeing outside the litterbox. I didn't think anything of leaving without letting Red out again because James out be home at 5pm, and he has held it for much longer than that before.

James called me at 5:30pm after he got home from work, and Red had peed in the living room. Big swirls of urine on the carpet and some on the kitchen linoleum. He has not peed in the house since he was like 12 weeks old. Oh great, now something is wrong with Red too, I'm thinking to myself. But James says he is acting normal and everything else is fine.

I tried to think back and figure out how this could have happened. I only thing I can come up with is that Red probably drank a lot of pond water on our walk, and I didn't see him pee on our walk at all, and my guess is that he probably didn't pee before I let him in the house. And all the pond water went through him and he couldn't hold it anymore. I'm sure it really pained him to pee in the house. When James came home and found the urine, he said Red looked really sad and guilty. He didn't punish him, but kept him outside til I got home at 10pm so I could clean the rest of the urine up out of the carpet. It wasn't as bad as he made it out to be though.

But the issue is that here I am bringing my piss-bag cat back home to a house that has been freshly peed in by the dog. Titus has been peeing on and in Red's crate, and I have caught him peeing on the dog's bed too. So the last thing I need is to have him smelling the dog's urine and then thinking he needs to urinate mark over it again. UGH! But the cat thing is a WHOLE nother story and I'm not going to go there.

I'm thinking if I can catch a urine sample from Red, that I will bring it in to check it out. Just in case. But I seriously think it was just because I was a dumbass and didn't let him out before I left. Just like I knew Titus' peeing issues weren't medical and they are behavioral - and all the testing I did today proves just that.

I think both of us need some Prozac...

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Anytime Rufus would go swimming we would have to take him out a million times because he would drink so much water while swimming. I am sure that is it since Red only peed in the house once in his whole life. I am sure that he just couldnt hold it anymore!

Zoltan said...

Hi love the blog & Red,

I don't know if this is of any interest, but our Dobie has bladder problems if she ever gets near salt water. It has got so that we never take her to the seaside, because if we do she has bladder problems for about 2 days after. Dobies are meant to have a very poor sense of taste, certainly ours can drink salt water without being put off by the taste.

TabLVT said...

You're right, Tiff. I bet that's why he had to go so bad.. I feel like a bad mommy! :(

Thanks for the reply, Zoltan! Red's never been around salt water before, but I've heard of it making other dogs ill too. I'll have to be sure to watch him if we ever go near the ocean!

Lexxsmom said...

I feel your pain, but I'm sure it was just a random event. Give Redders a kiss from me!

TabLVT said...

I sure hope so!!