Friday, May 15, 2009

RA title!!

Red earned the last leg for his Rally Advanced title today =) Yay!!

The trial was set to start at 1:00pm so I wanted to get there about 11:30am to have adequate time to sit and chill (more for my sake than the dog's). Since I've never been to this venue before, I wasn't sure how long it was going to take to get there. Michelle, being the good friend she is, came with me for moral support even though Maisy wasn't entered in this trial. She met me at my house at 10:30am, and we left shortly thereafter.

Turns out, we made it in about 30 minutes (all the while Red stinking up the car making us roll down our windows to air it out), so we got there just as they were opening the building at 11:00am! The mats in the rings hadn't even been set up yet. We hauled in the crate and chairs and set everything up, then realizing it was freezing cold in the arena (an arena meant for ice hockey), we decided since we had extra time to kill that we'd go to the local Target and buy long-sleeved shirts to keep warm. It was supposed to be warmer sunny day today so we both were short-sleeves. So we drove a block over to Target, Red still in the backseat, and shopped around for a few minutes. I bought Red a small rope for a reward after his run, since it was the only thing they hadn't without a squeaker.

We went back to the arena, a little warmer now that we had some layers. They just finished laying down the mats and they were soaking wet. Literally puddles of water on the mats! Surely they would be drying them off before the trial began, because they weren't going to air dry on their own in this freezing building. But nope... they set up all the Rally signs in the ring to the right and just left all the water there! But they did mop and dry the ring to the left which was the Obedience ring...

Anyway, Red refused to go potty before I took him in the building, so after awhile I just gave up and brought him in. We did our normal routine of switching his collar and leash to his show stuff, and then doing some exercises and then playing with the frisbee, then I put him in his crate. He willing goes in there now, and just lays down like a good boy. Doesn't ever make a sound or stir around. I occasionally pop him treats through the door zipper to reward his good behavior.

Michelle brought us lunch (which was a good thing because I always forget to bring food for myself!) - turkey wraps, chips, and a humungous sugar cookie from the local bakery. We sat and watched the people drying off the Obedience ring mats while leaving the Rally mats a big mess. People were arriving, but it still seemed very empty to me. Conformation was taking place in the next room over, so people were walking back and forth between the two.

I went and got my course map so I could see what we'd have to do. It was short and very easy. And no cones to earn us deductions for bumping! yay! I was confident about the course, except that side step right thing. After looking it over, I got up to go find the bathroom. In the hallway, there was a stand set up selling silhouettes of dogs on various items - magnets, leash racks, flag poles, etc. I seriously contemplated buying a Doberman magnet, but I figured I'd wait til after the match to decide. I really wanted a flagpole, too, since I've been saying for awhile I want a flag in our yard.

Went back to the crate and smelled Red's awful fart stench again. I decided to take him out and try to find a spot where I could let him off-leash so hopefully he would go poop or something. We went around the arena and found some grass far enough away from the road that I was comfortable letting him off-leash. He stayed in the area around me like a good boy. He peed a couple times, but still no poop. After awhile, we went back into the building. As we walked in, a woman said, "Is that the beautiful Dobie I saw running around outside?" I said yes, and she said, "wow you are lucky!" She meant that I was lucky to have a dog that I could trust to be off-leash and not run away.

We went back in and did a few more exercises, played, and then went back into the crate. They were starting the Excellent walk-through now and people were lining up. The Excellent A & B classes went very quickly - partly due to the fast paced course, but also due to the very low number of entries in all the classes. The Rally dogs had their work cut out for them since they were doing Utility in the next ring and handlers were SHOUTING very loud commands. But all the dogs did very well.

Before I knew it, it was time for the Advanced walk through. I had it all planned out... I'd do the walk through a couple times quickly, then come back and get Red out and warmed up since we would be the second team to go into the ring and I needed adequate time to get Red focused. We went in for the judge's briefing at 1:50pm and the judge told us to do our walk through and he would start at 2pm. I quickly walked the course twice, checked my watch and it was 1:55pm. I suddenly had to use the bathroom and I figured I'd have plenty of time to nip in there and go really quick.

When I came out, I saw the team before us already half down with the course!!! I ran over to the crate, yanked Red out, grabbed a handful of hotdog bits while Michelle was fumbling with the camera bag and trying to get it out so she could video us. We ran over to the gate, and I didn't have time to even do any focus exercises with him before I was being called into the ring. How in the HELL do I arrive 3 hours before I go into the ring and STILL end up being rushed into the ring and frazzled??? GAHHH!

Red and I entered the ring on leash and I put him in a sit in heel position. But every time I bent over to remove his leash, he'd stand up and move out of position. I put him back into a sit, try to remove his leash, and he'd do it again. This is NOT GOOD. He did it one more time after that, but I was able to get him to stay in position and removed his leash. The judge asked, "Are you ready?" and I thought in my head, "NO!", but I smiled and said yes, and he gave the forward command.

1. Slow Pace - I tried to take longer slower steps rather than just slowing my pace because Red tends to think I am stopping and attempts to go into a sit, but he did well this time.

2. Normal Pace - ok.

3. Right Turn - ok.

4. 270° Left - I bumping him going left, then he made the turn, and then went out in front of me for some reason, and when I tried to signal him back to heel, he just sort of walked around in front of me. I didn't know what else to do to get him back into heel position without accidentally screwing something up, so I turned around and redid the 270° left station and then heeled to the next sign. He did it fine the second time. So 3 points off for that, at least.

5. Halt, Stand, Walk Around Dog - He wasn't paying attention when I gave the first stand command, but did it on the second one, thank god. He held the stay and was fine after that.

6. Left Turn - ok.

7. 270° Right - ok.

8. Halt, Side Step Right, Halt - This was the station I was worried about. We don't really practice this one, and when we did, he wouldn't step to the right and would just wander out in front out of position. But miraculously, he performed it well! So relieved!

9. Send Over Jump - I was worried he'd tick the jump like he sometimes does in practice, but nope, he did it great and came back to heel very well.

10. Right Turn - ok.

11. Halt, Pivot 90° Right, Halt - ok.

12. Fast Forward From Sit - He was not paying attention after he sat so when I gave the comannd "let's go!", he started out a little ways behind me. But once he realized we were running, he went past me through the Normal Pace (#13) sign, past the Finish sign and almost out of the ring! But I got him called back to release and reattach his leash.

I remembered to praise him after releasing him this time, since in past trials I can never remember if I did or not! Praised him all the way back to the crate and then jackpotted like usual (i.e. letting him stick his nose in the treat pouch and finish off whatever is in there). Then I got out his rope reward toy and he loved it.

Michelle thought was did well, except whatever brain fart he had on the first 270° turn sequence that we redid. I gave it another minute, and then went to check our score... 96! Woot! We qualified and got our title!! So we got the 3 points off for the station redo, and then another point off somewhere - not sure where. Maybe an out of position on the very last station when he ran ahead of me? I forgot to check the scorecard to check.

Michelle, Red and I walked over to the conformation area to check and see where the photographer was. I wanted to get our title photo taken since there was a photographer here. He was set up in a ring in the middle of the conformation rings. Michelle found him and asked if we can do a Rally photo and he said yes of course. But we needed to go back and go the ribbon ceremony before we could do it. So we went back to the obedience area and waited for Advanced B to finish.

There were only 3 teams in Advanced A, and Red and I ended up getting 2nd place - the 1st place team got 100. So even if I didn't redo that sign if I didn't need to, we still would've got 2nd since we had another point off somewhere. But I didn't mind, at least we qualified!! =)

Here's the video:



Then Michelle handed me a little box which contained an RA pin, RA patch, and some Wellness dog treats! AND she bought me the Doberman paw print magnet I'd been eyeing earlier in the day! I was so excited!! Michelle is such a sweetheart - I just love her! =)

After that, we went back over to the photographer to get the photo taken. Stupid me forgot the ribbons, and Michelle had to run all the way back to get them. The photog had me put Red up on this raised platform thing, which Red was NOT too cool with. But once I stepped up there myself, he came up and I finally got him to sit. I gave him a firm stay command, and then removed his leash and dropped it out of sight behind the platform. The photog had me turn him slightly and adjust his feet a little, and then quickly snapped the pics and we were done! He didn't take any of my info except my judging number and said the 8x10 print would arrive in about 2 weeks. I also want a digital image and he said I could order that later after I received my print. But Michelle had taken a quick photo of Red and I ringside so you can get an idea of what it will look like:

click to enlarge
Photobucket

On the way back through to the obedience area, I stopped and bought a flagpole with a Doberman silhouette on the top. I love it!! Then we packed everything up, and headed back home. Red slept all the way home, as usual.

He got a nice chew bone to enjoy in the backyard:

Photobucket

nom nom nom
Photobucket

In the meantime, I put our new Doberman flag pole out in a front flower bed:

Photobucket

It was a fun day (except for being rushed into the ring!!), and I'm so happy we finally have our RA title. This is the last Rally trial we will be doing for awhile now. We will be making our Obedience debut in September and hopefully earn our CD. Once we get the CD, I'll go back and do the Rally Excellent title, only then I'll be in the B class with the big dogs! =D

3 comments:

Kathie R said...

Hey TabLTV, Congratulations on the Rally Advanced title. Nice job!

Kathie R

Dawn said...

Congratulations! That must have felt wonderful! Katie and I had planned on doing Novice Rally there today, but turned out I had to work. Drats the job interferes! But you did GREAT!

TabLVT said...

Thanks Kathie and Dawn!! =)