Saturday, December 20, 2008

Training class this morning

This was the first Saturday morning class we've been able to attend in about a month. Red was glad to be back, but it was obvious that we haven't been there in awhile because he seems to have lost some of his brains since then...

There was a new dog - a French bulldog - that Red was really interested in at first and didn't heel well at the beginning because of it. But finally got over that, then heeling and focus was really good.

Then he decided he's not going to go down anymore on the down command - just sits there are looks at me. After two good corrections for ignoring the command, he miraculously remembered again, though he was slow to obey.

Figure 8's ok - nothing really to comment there. He's getting better at reading me for the left turns when I cue with my shoulders so he's not bumping me so much. So I was happy with that.

Long sits/downs - he went down once on the 3 minute long sit after the dog next to him kept breaking position. Did pretty well with the 5 minute long down - though he flopped on his side to begin with, he sat back up and did really well up til the end when the same dog next to him kept breaking position, he went into a sit, but went back into the down when told and was fine the rest of the time. So not horrid, but not really great either.

Recalls were iffy. He was jumpy the first time I walked away in anticipation, so I returned to him once and walked away again. And he won't come in straight to save his life. I don't finish him on recalls anymore, and I've been backing up to try to lure him into a straight front, but he just won't go straight no matter what! It seems to be getting worse. I really have to work on his fronts.

Michelle brought him a puppy jute for tug which he loves. It will be a good motivator for class in the future. He demolished his "tuff" tennis ball on the rope.

I had him off leash for the end portion of class and he did really well - stuck by me and didn't wander off at all. So that was good.

We will be going to class the Saturday after Christmas and New Years so that will be good to get another 2 weeks under our belt with our next Rally trial looming on January 17th.

Homework:
1. Revisit downs, and get quick responses.
2. Work on fronts.
3. Stop finishing.

No comments: