Sunday, June 21, 2009

Open House

My brother's high school graduation open house was yesterday. My Dad and stepmom are really cool about us bringing Red over, so he got to come with us =)

When we first got there, we put him in the fenced front yard with their female standard poodle, Bella, so they stayed out of everyone's way. There were more people at this open house than I've ever seen! A few people had also brought their dogs, but only my sister's Chinese Crested (Roxie) didn't like Red.

After awhile, it started to rain so I took Red out on his leash so we could stand under some cover. By that time, he had calmed down a lot so I let him off leash. The kids that were there immediately stole him to play fetch. He happily played for awhile, then came back to follow me around. He was seeming a little tired so I tried putting him in the car for awhile because he has settled down and napped there in the past, but he didn't sleep this time. So I let him back out and he wandered around some more.

Everyone loved him and he got a ton of attention. Most people didn't know what breed he was, and I must've explained about the 4 different colors of Dobermans at least half a dozen times. But it was cool so people could see first hand that Dobes aren't as bad as people and media make them out to be. We bragged about our Rally titles and therapy work too =)

Here's a short video of Red successfully puncturing a basketball... (shh! don't tell! LOL)



A little later, another friend brought her Jack Russell/Chihuahua mix named Biscuit and Red, Bella, and Biscuit went tearing around a few laps, almost taking out the knees of several people. So the big dogs were banished back into the front yard after that.

He zonked out on the way home (1.5 hr drive), and once we were home, he went straight to his bed and sprawled out, dead asleep within a minute. He's still a little quiet today, even! A tired dog is a happy dog! =)

No comments: