Friday, June 26, 2009

Red does "Safety Town"

"Safety Town" is a program for young elementary school kids to learn about safety in various subjects (like crossing roads, talking to strangers, etc). There is also a portion on dog safety, and Red and I were invited to do a presentation for the kids =)

We did the 2 afternoon sessions - each consisting of 30-40 kids, of about 5 years old, plus some older kids helping with the program. There was also a morning session, and the dog that did those sessions was also a Doberman! An 8 year old male named Zeus. Great PR for the breed indeed!

I was really nervous about getting up and talking in front of a large group... even though most of them were only 5 years old, lol. The 1st group was ok, but I kept getting interrupted with questions, so it made keeping my train of thought a lot harder! But the 2nd group was better.

Someone was kind enough to video the 2nd session for me. She didn't video the whole thing all at once, so I sorta edited all the clips together. But since YouTube only supports 10 minute videos, I had to split it up into two parts. The 2nd part is kinda boring toward the end when all the kids are going up to him one by one... sorry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaoeOXPq7Lk


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lwThP-j0U



Red did so well! I was sooo proud of him!!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

You are right to be proud of him. No way would Katie stand to let kids walk up and touch her! Maybe someday...

Very good program to teach kids about dogs!

TabLVT said...

Thanks, Dawn! I think its an awesome program for schools to have. Children 5 and under are the most likely to be bitten by a dog, so the more we can educate them about how to act around dogs, the better!