Sunday, March 1, 2009

Busy weekend / Dumbbell update

Not much time to for walks or training this weekend. And Red has been couped up again due to frigid temperatures. God I can't wait til spring is here!!!


A little update on the dumbbell...

I'm turning it into a fun game. Whenever I say, "You want the dumbbell??" He gets all excited. Then I whip it out and he jumps around all happy. We play hide and seek with it - I hide it and he has to sniff it out - like I do with treats or his other toys.

I'll also have him hold it for a few seconds, until I take it out of his mouth. Then I'll have him go retrieve it and ask him excitedly to "bring it here" and then take it out of his mouth before he tries to drop it. One time, I actually got him to bring it to me and sit without dropping it and I quickly took it out of his mouth and gave a big jackpot for that!

One time, he was in the process of bringing it to me and he dropped it and then sat there expecting his treat. But I said, "oh what happened??" and he kinda looked confused, still waiting for his treat, and I repeated, "what happened to the dumbbell??", and he turned around, picked it up, brought it to me and I took it from his mouth - THEN he got a handful of treats! Now if he happens to drop it before I can take it out of his mouth, I look at it and say, "oh what happened??" and he immediately goes and picks it up again and brings it to me, so I take it from his mouth. I think he is starting to understand that he won't get rewarded if he drops it, but he will if I can take it from his mouth. At least I HOPE he's starting to catch on...

So I think the positive/fun training with it is inching along... =)

No comments: