Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Red goes to the Mall

Red and I went to Bass Pro again today, which is in the local mall. I wanted take a lap around the mall (which is about 8/10ths of a mile), and thought I'd try to bring Red with me. It was a good day to go - a Wednesday afternoon when it wasn't packed or crowded, but enough people to still offer distractions in a strange environment. I put his red bandana on to help disguise the fact that he was wearing a prong - the friendlier he looks, the better. For the record, I have no intention of trying to impersonate a service dog, and if anyone asked, I would tell them the truth and say he is a therapy dog, not a service dog. And if I was asked to leave or was told he wasn't allowed, I would leave.

After doing some obedience work in our usual corner of Bass Pro, we walked up to the front of the store and into the main mall. The employee standing guard at the entrance told us to have a good day. I kept Red tight at my left side - no walking out in front of me. I wanted him to appear completely under control with me. I fed him bits of string cheese and ham for good behavior as we walked - i.e. walking loosely at my left side and not pulling, and attention on me. Occasionally, I'd halt and he would sit, and we'd do downs and practice focus exercises - nothing exciting or exuberant - again, I wanted him to appear calm and under control and not give anyone a reason to ask us to leave.

We continued walking, and the longer we went, the more he just walked nicely at my left side with me, receiving rewards every so often for his good behavior, and completely oblivious to everything going on around us. We were approaching a mall security guard who was riding one of those wheelie things and wearing a helmet. I planned to smile and say hello as we passed, but as I got closer I realized I knew the guy! I used to work with him like 8 years ago! I stopped to chat for a few minutes and Red just stood there next to me, completely uninterested in anything that was going on. The guy commented on what a nice dog Red was and then had to get back to work. I was so happy - now we definitely wouldn't get kicked out! ;)

Red and I continued our walk, pausing here and there to sit and focus. I heard people saying things like, "oooh! Look at that dog!" or "wow, what a cool dog!". No one approached us, though, because it was clear that Red was working and not just out for a leisurely stroll.

We looped back around and entered Bass Pro again, walked through to the back of the store, and out into the parking lot to leave. Red got jackpoted the rest of the ham and cheese from the treat bag. I was so pleased with his behavior in the mall. Very proud of my Redders today =)

1 comment:

Angel Logan said...

"For the record, I have no intention of trying to impersonate a service dog, and if anyone asked, I would tell them the truth and say he is a therapy dog, not a service dog. And if I was asked to leave or was told he wasn't allowed, I would leave.

Under the ADA it is not the dog who has public access rights but the disabled person so you are impersonating a disable person. And therapy dogs are NOT considered service animals.

While I'm sure that Red is very well behaved that is not the issue. It's like someone parking in the handicapped parking spot for "just a minute". It's doing something wrong, illegal or unethical and not considering it so if you don't "caught". Please reconsider, there are plenty of pet friendly public places where you can bring Red to train.