Sunday, March 8, 2009

Wet Walk!

It has rained steadily for the past 2 days non-stop. Red was an annoying ball of energy yesterday, and I couldn't imagine going one more day without letting him run a bit, so we went out for a walk today - in the rain.

I don't mind the rain. In fact, I love it. I'm a Pisces girl so water is my thing, and Red is an Aquarius, and he LOVES water too! =) We walked a couple blocks to our usual off-leash spot. From the moment the leash came off, Red ran the ENTIRE time. It seems like he tries to run between the rain drops, lol - and he likes to open his mouth wide and "bite" the rain. He was soaking wet, but having a ball. The edges of the pond were thawed, but the the majority of it was still frozen. Red proceeded to lay down in the half-frozen water! So much for thinking he was going to be cold in the rain!

We made our usual circuit around the pond and back up the trail, and then back home. I had to towel him off completely before letting him in the house, and now he smells like wet dog. But he really needed that run - he was driving me crazy!


Training Update
After we returned from the walk, we did a short training session in the living room. We are still working on the 180 left pivot for Advanced Rally. He's good with 90 degree, but doesn't swing completely around for the 180. And also still practicing nice, straight fronts. So did that and only treated for proper position.

Then I took out the dumbbell and had him hold it while I danced around in front of him - all the while he's watching me like I've lost my mind - but he didn't drop it, and only released it when I took it from his mouth. (Thanks Maylissa for the idea to do distractions while he holds it!!). And then I tossed the db, gave him the ok to get it, and he brought it right back and sat in front position, and held it until I took it!! YAYAYAY!! Jackpot for that and then we stopped training and had a fun play session. I was so happy! I guess there's hope after all! =)

4 comments:

M.T. said...

LOL i would have loved to see the dancing!! The hardest distraction for Dante was when i would put both hands (or fingers sometimes) touching the sides of the dumbbell while he was holding it, but not give the "Give" command. It took him quite a few times to understand that he is only absolutely allowed to let go when asked to by me ... i'm so mean :D

TabLVT said...

That's a good idea. It would really make him understand when to release it and when not to. Great work! And thanks for all the ideas =)

Tiffany said...

I would love to see the dance as well!

TabLVT said...

The dance is for Red's eyes only... ;)