Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Home Depot... not too friendly...

I've heard a lot of people say that Home Depot allows dogs, and I wanted to try a different working environment today. I had the prong on him since he was excited and bouncy when we got out of the car. I walked confidently inside with him at my side. The first lady manning the door just smiled and said hello. Once we were inside, however, another lady stopped me and told me I couldn't have the dog in there.

"oh really?" I replied sweetly. "I've heard Home Depots allow dogs."

She eyed Red suspiciously. "Well, not BIG dogs like that."

I bristled. What was she implying? "He's a therapy dog. I have his identification if you'd like to see it."

A pause.

"Well, I suppose its ok. Just try to stay out of people's way," she snapped.

I smiled politely. "Thank you! I was planning on just going to a back corner to do some training."

"What do you mean "training"?" She said sharply.

What kind of training did she think I meant? Mauling children? "Oh, we do competitive obedience, and I like to work on heeling and different things," I explained, still smiling. Red just stood there politely, looking around.

"Oh I see!" Then she smiled. "If you head straight back and to the left, you can use that area."

"Thanks a lot!" And we scooted off quickly before she could change her mind.


I headed toward the back of the warehouse in the direction she had indicated. Then I started working with Red - doing fronts and heeling, turns, and pivots. Working on attention during heeling. I had originally wanted to work on short recalls and sit/down/stays, but I decided not to push my luck - I didn't want them to see him off-leash, even though he would be fine.

A few minutes into the training, the same lady came back in my direction... I'm sure it was to check on us and make sure Red hadn't killed any of her customers yet. I just continued to work him, and he performed well. She approached and wanted to chit chat and pet him. Red stood there while she talked, and another employee came up to pet him too. Red stood there uninterested in these people - either looking off in the other direction, or staring up at me. After they walked away, we continued to work for a few more minutes, then we quickly made our way back up to the front of the store and left. We weren't there very long. I didn't want to overstay our welcome...

6 comments:

Lexxsmom said...

Its best to call and ask the manager before you go if its ok.

I've only had ONE bad experience at a Home Depot. I was carrying Lexx, he was only 12 weeks old and I called first. The manager said no problem, multiple staff members smiled and patted him and then this ONE lady just FLIPPED out saying that people were allergic to dogs and COULD DIE with him in there. I gave her an exhaustive glance and moved on.

Lexx is now regular at the RONA near our house. They actually ask us where he is when we go without him.

TabLVT said...

Ya know, I wouldn't have minded if they just would've said "No dogs allowed. Period." But no, they said they allow dogs, just not MY dog. That really rubbed me the wrong way. Don't pick and chose which ones you feel like letting in. If they are going to allow dogs - allow them. I just thought it was bullshit that they said some were allowed and some aren't.

M.T. said...

Yep, you gotta love the "discrimination" ... but i was cheering for you and Reds all the way as i read through the post! You go girl!! and Reds!! :) Like Leanne says though, it only takes ONE person to make a fuss and then they will have no choice but to disallow ... pffft!

Lexxsmom said...

Discrimination blows. At a home decoration store I was at I saw a small dog and asked if dogs were allowed. The response was: as long as their feet don't touch the floor.

I was VERY tempted to put Lexx in a shopping cart, or put on his boots and say WHHATT? His FEET aren't on the floor!

TabLVT said...

LOL, Leanne! That sounds like something I would do =P

Anonymous said...

Some people just like their powertrip and she apparently gets hers at home depot. Tell her the size of the dog doesnt indicate how the dog is next time! Take my dog for example...