Wednesday, January 21, 2009

ANOTHER cut paw pad! AARRRGGGGHH!!!!

*rips hair out*

I swear to god this dog has the softest, most flimsy paw pads EVER! Either that or he seeks out the sharpest things to trod on!

Went out on a walk this morning to burn off some energy before our therapy visit. I covered the cut on his hock with vetwrap and tape because he always opens it back up on walks when he gets snow shoved into it. The bandage stayed in place really well and I thought we were doing good.

Then I saw blood in the snow. Hmmm... can't be from Red? Can it? Walked a little ways longer... more blood. Looks fresh. I called Red and examined his hock and feet. Everything looked fine until I got to his left front foot. One of the pads (P4) has a big slice in it. Looks exactly like the one he had last year. For a moment, I thought he opened it back up somehow but then I remembered the other one was on his back foot.

So we turned around, not even halfway through our walk, to go back home. Blood spotting all the way home. Got him in the house and blotted it with a towel - TONS of blood! Took him to the linoelum in the kitchen - our usual wound care spot - and had him down/stay while I gathered supplied to flush it and treat it.

Cleaned and flushed it with a curved tip syringe and betadine solution. He didn't really act painful like he had when I've treated other wounds. This one, thankfully, is not as deep as the other one - look like he cut it just under the actual pad surface in a superficial slice, though the flap was still in place. But man, this one just wouldn't stop bleeding. Flushed several times, and then applied Nexaband (surgical glue) into the wound and held it with pressure for several minutes. A small amount of oozing continued at the edges, so applied more glue and tried to keep the edges together. After several more minutes of keeping pressure on it until it stopped oozing, I let him up to see if it would hold up.

When I tried to glue the last paw pad laceration closed, it was deep enough that when he put his weight on it, it would split open again. This one is superficial and a more lateral wound, so hopefully this won't be the case. It seemed to do ok with him walking on it, though a little more oozing started at the one edge.

I called and canceled our therapy visit for today. I want him to stay off it as much as possible today and hopefully give it a good day of healing. Wanted him to lay down and take a nap, but he kept banging the door handle wanting to go outside. *sigh* I warned him that if he opens it back up out there that we're going to have to spend another 15 minutes treating the wound again!

Let him out, he went and peed and then did a running lap or two of the yard. Came back in. Checked the pad - the flap was still closed and holding shut, though more oozing had come from the edge. Wiped away the blood gently with a moist papertowel and blotted until the oozing stopped. Then I went and sat down, and he started banging the door handle again! No way! Go lay down!!! He is now sprawled on the floor in front of the fireplace...

I'm going to have to buy boots that go up to his knees and tape them in place before we go on walks! I don't know what else to do. This is getting ridiculous!!

2 comments:

M.T. said...

Oh no!! Poor Red!! Sorry you had to cancel the therapy visit, but i guess the quicker this new cut heals the better! Has the cut on the hock healed yet???

From what you've wrote it doesn't sound like the new cut is causing him much distress or discomfort though, so, at least that's a good thing! Start chanting: "NO MORE CUTS! NO MORE CUTS! NO MORE CUTS! ..." =)

TabLVT said...

The cut on his hock WAS healed, then we went for a run the other day and he broke it open again. He gets snow packed into it as he runs and makes it bleed. So that's why I taped over it this morning and that really seemed to work. I don't know why I didin't do that sooner! But it's closed now and will hopefully heal completely now.

No, this laceration on his paw pad doesn't seem as painful as the last one. It's not as deep, but its pretty long. But even if it was painful, he still was always really good about letting me flush and treat it. Guess I've been tending to his many wounds for so long that he's just used to it by now... lol