Monday, January 19, 2009

Random stuff - walks, dumbbell, therapy visit, etc

Walk - FINALLY!

We were finally able to go for a walk yesterday! The temperature spiked at 20 F, and I was actually sweating by the time we got back... but that was more due to having to trudge through knee-deep snow the whole time. It's like trying to walk through water - so much resistance. I had my coat unzipped by the end of it! But Red thoroughly enjoyed himself, and didn't act cold at all. So I know if its in the single digits, that means no walk.

It was back in the teens today, so instead of a long walk, we just played out in the yard for like 15 minutes. He didn't seem to be cold, but I'd just hate to get all the way over to the pond and have him start limping or something due to the cold. gah, I will be happy when its spring again!!


Ordered dumbbell

By the advice given at DT, I called Max200 to talk to someone about proper sizing. Each time I used this method to measure Red's mouth, I came up with 8cm. But after talking with the guy, he thought a 6cm bar width would be the right size. I really don't understand it, and I will honestly be a little pissed if it ends up being too small, but whatever... I'll just send it back if its the wrong size. So it ended up being this dumbbell, in the 6cm wide x 8cm high size, plastic, high angle, with the knurled bar. They have to custom make it but it should be ready to go in a matter of days, and then shipped via UPS.


To schedule therapy visit this week

I called to hopefully schedule a therapy visit on Wednesday of this week. They were supposed to call me back today but they haven't yet, and now they are gone for the day. Kinda of annoying... But the one lady said I can just call a day ahead and let them know I'm coming so hopefully I will talk to them tomorrow.

I would like to go earlier in the day this time. We usually go around 2pm, which gave me enough time to sleep in, run the dog, and then get ready and go. But that was right after lunch and many people still have food on trays in their rooms and either Red would be so interested in trying to get at the food, or else they wanted to feed him leftovers. So I figure maybe we will go BEFORE lunch is served this time, so we can hopefully avoid this issue. I don't want Red to go into each room looking for (or expecting to be fed) food. But I hope they don't have breakfast leftovers...


Living room training session

I said, "You wanna work??" in that excited voice, and grabbed his treat pouch. He got all excited and hopped around as I put some dog food roll bits inside. Then removed his flat collar and replaced it with his chain choke.

Our living room is pretty small but after I rearranged the furniture this past time, we've got a little more room to manuever now. He was ALL drive and focus and performed everything in a very quick and snappy way. I stopped talking during the heeling and just used my shoulders as a cue for turning. He did excellent! Very nice, tight turns and great focus. Good, quick sits as well. After each release I tossed a larger chunk for him to catch, which he loves doing. After a particularly long stretch of silent heeling with many twists and turns and excellent focus, he received a jackpot (aka, being allowed to stick his nose in the bag and finish it off).

I think I will do more of these little mini sessions, phase out the talking during heeling, turns and halts, and continue to toss treats after releasing. =)

No comments: