Thursday, January 15, 2009

We are doomed

It is now officially 1 F (-17 C) outside according to our wireless weather station. And tomorrow's high temp is a whopping 5 F (-15 C), with -15 F (-26 C) windchill.

It is so cold out that Red is literally out there for 2 minutes and starts limping and holding up his paws out of the snow. His poor little feet get frozen! I tried putting booties on him but they don't stay on. So I take him out for a few minutes to throw the frisbee, come back inside to thaw for a few minutes, then back outside for a few, then back inside, and repeat. It's the only thing I can do to get him running a bit.

Here's a video of the poor guy:



He hasn't had an off-leash run in close to 2 weeks now, and he's not going to get one before his trial on Saturday. He's going to be a psycho ball of energy, I just know it. Especially because it will be a brand new place he's never been too. ugh, why does this have to happen??

3 comments:

M.T. said...

Awww ... he looks absolutely miserable with one feet up and standing in the snow ... i'm sorry, but there is an element of cuteness to that and i don't know whether to :) or :( lol

Do you have a laser pointer? Does Red play with it? I've been giving Dante quite a workout with it during these couple of really nasty cold days. (It's just really too cold outside, even for a stickler to walks like me!) I actually had forgotten i had it and stumbled upon it when opening some long forgotten drawers. He chases after it like a madmen so i just make him go several laps upstairs and downstairs over and over again. Don't plan to use it long term but it does the job!

Lexxsmom said...

Ditto over here on the gross weather... Lexx and I play chase the stuffie for atleast 15 minutes in the morning and again in the evening. Its convenient since hes still not supposed to run off leash anyways, but still, I think he misses it.

damn winter.

TabLVT said...

I know! Pitiful, isn't it?? I usually do use the laser pointer to get some quick running time in on days when he hasn't had a walk, but its been so cold that he hasn't even wanted to do that. I tried it last night and he just stood there like he wanted to chase it but it wasn't worth it... and its a cold day in hell (literally) when Red does want to chase the laser!

As a substitute for our off-leash runs, I took him to Bass Pro today to a far carpeted corner and worked and played with him off-leash. We ran around a bit, and then did several laps around the store. Then we went to Petco and did a couple laps. So I think that helped burn off some energy, but not near as much as I would've wanted the day before a trial...

ah well, I'm sure everything will be fine and we'll get through it. At least I know if he does well tomorrow, we can trial under any conditions! Wish us luck!!