Thursday, January 8, 2009

Cut on hock

On Monday night, I noticed blood on the carpet. I closely examined all of Red's toes, pads, etc, and couldn't find anything. Then I saw a cut about midway up on is right rear hock. A little deep but has a flap covering it. I'm guessing he sliced it during our walk - either by catching it on a stick or something in the woods, or by running through the ice-crusted snow from all the freezing rain we got.

I warm compressed it and flushed it out with betadine solution. Then put some triple antibiotic ointment into it. I could tell it was painful during flushing, poor kid.

The next day at work, Tuesday, I picked up some Clavamox and Tramadol - the Clavamox since I don't know what he cut it on and I don't want it to get infected - and the Tramadol for pain since the flushing hurts.

Red and I are in the same boat now. We're both on antibiotics starting on Tuesday (him for his hock slice, and me for my cat bite), and both having our wounds soaked and flushed. However, I'm not on any pain meds.. just ibuprofen. I guess we're more on the same wavelength than I thought!

2 comments:

Lexxsmom said...

HA! so its NOT just us!

TabLVT said...

haha, I guess not! Though I'd rather it be for something positive and not painful wounds! lol