Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Curse this Artic weather!!

It's so freakin cold outside... our indoor/outdoor weather station says its 5 F. And that's not including wind chill which is well below zero.

Which wouldn't oridinarily be a big deal, but Red hasn't been out on a walk in a week due to an unlucky combination of events, and I was hoping to get him out running before his trial this weekend so he's not a high-strung retard when we get there...

But I let him out this morning and fed him, and he was holding up his left front paw and looked unwilling to put much weight on it. Then after he ate, he went sprinting around the yard again, and came back in hitching on his right rear leg. Once we got into the house, he was fine. I checked him over - no wounds or sore spots. The cut on his right hock is almost healed so that's not an issue anymore. He's walking completely normally now, so I think it was just the extreme cold that made his legs or paws ache.

So there goes my plans on going out for a run this morning... Tomorrow's temp is more of the same, as well as Friday. And its supposed to be marginally warmer (like in the teens, HA!) on Saturday which is the day of the trail. =(

So how am I supposed to exercise Red before the trial when mother nature is working against me??


EDIT: Just came in from a short frisbee session in the yard, and that cut on his hock is open and bleeding again =( This thing just doesn't seem to want to close! Back to flushing and continuing antibiotics...

3 comments:

M.T. said...

Ugh, i can definitely understand your frustration! This yucky weather doesn't help, and doesn't it feel like sometimes the stars and moon and sun need to align in order to feel a measure of confidence about a trial?? Thank goodness we have training the next three evenings, or this weather would drive Dante nuts!

Sorry that the cut opened up again ... it must be quite a deep cut from the sound of it :( Hope it heals nicely in time for the trial!

Anonymous said...

you could get a treadmill.. It will definitely help on days like these, and they can cause a bit of mental exercise also as they need to focus on speed, control etc. Some dogs absolutely love doing it once they are trained its not a dangerous machine, and with clicker training even easier!

TabLVT said...

M.T., you are so right! I think I need to consult Red's horoscope before I commit to these trials, LOL!

Anonymous, definitely something to consider but I think my hubby would look at me like I've lost my mind if I asked to buy a treadmill for the dog... haha! Ordinarily, we still go for walks when its very cold out, but these subzero temps are just too much for both of us. Thankfully these extreme cold snaps don't last long - though it seems like it when you've got tons of pent-up doberenergy bouncing off the walls in your house!