Monday, February 9, 2009

Dumbbell Retry

I was so terrified after Saturday's training session that I had ruined Red's positive association with the dumbbell forever. I want him to LOVE it like Kim's dogs do.

I'll kind of reiterate what happened on Saturday during class... Up til this point, Red would sit and hold it until I told him "out" then he'd drop it into my hand. (Which, by the way, I realize now is not good because you don't want the dog to drop it - you want him to release it when you take it out of his mouth.) Anyway, so Michelle and I were trying to see if he would move while holding it. At home, he would prance around with it, but as soon as I'd give a command like "come", he dropped it. Same story at training. he'd be holding it, then I'd try to get him to move forward toward me, only a step. Dropped it. Every single time. So then we tried something else - make him "leave it" while I tossed it, and he would retrieve it fine and start coming back, but as soon as you'd reach for it, he'd drop it. Nevermind telling him to sit - he'd drop it. So after a few tries, he started to realize he wasn't doing what we wanted and he shut down. I mean completely. Would've take the db anymore, wouldn't hold it, wouldn't fetch it, wouldn't open his mouth the slightest bit. Nothing. Avoided it like the plague. So I put it away and moved onto something else. Got it back out later at the end of class - he wouldn't have anything to do with it.

I was so petrified that I had ruined him and he now had an aversion to the db. I've been stressing about it, and resigning myself to the fact that we will never be able to go for CDX.

But today I got home from work and Red was all wound up and wanting to play, so I decided to take advantage of the positive energy, and get the db out again. I whipped it out of his training bag with a flourish and he immediately got excited. I pranced around with it like it was some awesome toy I was keeping away from him, all the while he's doing excited spins. I held it out for him to take, and he took it very willingly. I jumped up and clapped and whooped and danced around telling him what a good boy he was. Then had him chase me through the house - all the while he was carrying it. Then I took it from his mouth (trying not to encourage him to drop it into my hand), and rewarded heavily. Then I had him sit and leave it, and carefully tossed it a few feet in front of him. I faked a few times to build anticipation, then released and he shot forward, picked it up correctly, and I made a big to-do about it again, dancing around, praising and making an excited scene. Then took it from him swiftly, heavily rewarded with treats, then offered his jute as a big-time reward. Then we went for a walk.

I think I will just spend more time creating a positive association with the db for awhile, and really work on getting him to understand the "hold" command. Once he has a clear understanding of "hold", maybe I can start getting him to walk with it during commands. Also need to work on him holding it til I take it out of his mouth, rather than him dropping it in my hand.

phew! Well all isn't completely lost yet...

No comments: