Saturday, February 21, 2009

Induced vomiting

I called the emergency vet and they recommended giving him a small meal, then induce vomiting with 5mL peroxide per 20 lbs (so 20mL peroxide for my 80 lb dog), and repeat every 10 mins for 3 times if needed.

I gave him the first 20mL and he almost vomited immediately but didn't. I waited 10 mins, then did another 20mL. Still nothing. I waited and waited and nothing, no retching or gagging or anything. But he was visibly feeling really sick to his stomach, just laying next to me all pitiful. By now I'm in tears having to do this to him for my stupidity. I couldn't bring myself to do it to him a 3rd time.

I called them back and told them he didn't vomit. They offered to see him tonight, but I opted to just watch him for now. I hope to god I'm making a bigger deal out of this than it is. I did give him 2mL famotidine (Pepcid) subcutaneously because he was feeling so nauseous from the peroxide. He went outside and peed, and came back in and is now he's laying down, chewing on a bone like nothing is wrong.

I can't call into work tomorrow because they already called me in early because someone else is sick and can't work tomorrow. And James is working with the police tomorrow morning and I'm not sure if he will be able to stop by the house on his shift or not.

I hope I am being melodramatic and there isn't a problem, but I just feel so bad!!!

No comments: