Friday, February 20, 2009

Rally Novice Title!!!

Well, it's done! Red obtained the last leg for his Rally Novice title today!! Yippee!

It was a FAST day. Michelle got there early when the building opened so she could set up Maisy's and Red's crates (thank you for doing that, Michelle!!). She and Maisy are going for their RAE title so they competed in Excellent AND Advanced, and had to get there early. I wasn't going to come until later - around 12pm or so, since I estimated we wouldn't be going into the ring til sometime after 1pm. Michelle called me a little before 11am after they finished their Excellent run (they qualified!) and said the judge was running through everything SUPER fast, and I should come now.

I left at 11:15am, and it took 30 minutes to get there. They were already started with Advanced B when I arrived. I crated Red and got my stuff situated and unpacked. Lori - Red's breeder - was there, but I didn't get to chat for very long because I had to check in, and get the course map and everything. I got to see Michelle and Maisy's Advanced run, which they got a 99 and 3rd place! Thankfully, the Novice course was very easy and only had 10 stations. We should be able to do it without a problem, unless we completely miss a sign or something.

Everything moved so fast. Before I knew it, Advanced B was done, they handed out ribbons and they switch the course for Novice. It was announced that the judge would not be taking a lunch break and the Novice walkthrough would be starting immediately. Gah! I'd only been there for like 20-25 minutes and I was feeling very rushed. And turns out, 3 people didn't show up for Novice A, so it was just me and one other team. We were going second. So I only had less than 2 minutes to get Red ring ready.

Michelle offered to play with Red during the walkthrough so he could get out of his crate and get ready. Then after the walkthrough, I'd do focus exercises with him and then be ready to go in. I walked the course 3 times, as I always do. Easy course and not hard to follow. Feeling confident but still very rushed which made me nervous. Thankfully, Michelle remembered the camera to video our run, because I completely forgot about it in all the rush!

After the walkthrough, I went back to get Red and put my treat pouch on, but the steward grabbed me and said I was needed in the ring for the judge's briefing - something I'd never done before so I wasn't expecting it. So I was flustered about that because I needed this time to prepare my dog. After the briefing, I just grabbed a handful of treats and made my way to the ring. Did a few exercises near the ring entrance while the team before us was going, and Red was great and focused. Fed the last treat just before stepping into the ring. We went into the ring at 12:30pm - just 45 minutes after arriving!

In the ring, Red lost some focus and took a few moments to set up next to me in heel position. For some unknown reason, he went into a half-down just after I said we were ready and before the judge said forward, so I just went with it and started forward.

Station #1: Serpentine Weave: Went ok, though he bumped me going into the second cone and then lost some focus but was able to regain it.

Station #2: Left Turn: No problem.

Station #3: Call Front Finish Left Forward: No problem. Made EXTRA sure I gave Red enough time to sit all the way down in front before finishing.

Station #4: Halt, Down: Very crooked sit and therefore a very crooked down. I knew we'd lost points on this, but it wasn't worth repositioning or a retry.

Station #5: 270° Right: No problem.

Station #6: Fast Pace: Made sure we went REALLY fast. Michelle and Maisy got an IP on the fast pace during Excellent because the judge said the dog didn't change pace even though the handler did. And the judge stressed it during the briefing to make sure the dog changes pace. Not an easy feat for someone with a large dog - so I all but sprinted to make sure Red was at least pacing instead of trotting.

Station #7: Normal Pace: No problem. Though there wasn't much room between this sign and the next one and we almost hit the next sign!

Station #8: Left About Turn: Almost hit the sign on this one because I was still slowing down from the fast pace. Red's rear foot ALMOST hit it, but didn't, thank god!

Station #9: Halt, Sit: No problem.

Station #10: 270° Left: No problem.

Finish!

Well, I think we qualified! Michelle was happy and said we did well. Lori was there and said we did well, but Tuesday's owner said my leash was tight several times, and that I didn't pause once when I should've so that would've been an IP on that station, and she saw the judge mark something on it. And I remembered the judge saying during the briefing that he would be strict about NQing people who have tight leashes. oh god... what if I DIDN'T qualify??

Michelle went to check the board since it was too crowded to move back to the table with Red to check myself. I was staring at her face as she was walking back and it was unreadable. She got closer and shook her head: "You didn't qualify". My jaw dropped. "Are you serious??" I choked. She paused, then broke into a wide grin and said, "No, you qualified! You got a 99!" I spluttered something incoherent and then punched her harder than I meant to in the arm. As the feeling starting coming back into my legs, it hit me - We got our title!!!

Sweet relief! The 1 point deduction was from the crooked sit/down on Station #4. I knew it during the trial. I was so happy with our score, and so relieved!! Especially after Michelle gave me the heart attack... Michelle, if you are reading this - you will get your come uppance!! =P LOL

I gave Red a stuffy that I've been saving for after the trial. He loved it, of course, and tore a big hole in its back within the first 2 minutes of having it. The Novice B group was done in a flash, and it was time to accept our ribbons. It was only us and one other team in Novice A since the other 3 teams didn't show up. We both got a 99, but our time was faster so we got 1st place. It was both of our 3rd legs, earning our RN titles =)

After that, I put Red back into the crate so I could get my stuff organized and talk to people without worrying about holding the dog. Michelle handed me a little blue gift bag. It contained an AKC RN patch, and RN pin!! Too cool! I was going to buy a patch and pin after we got our RN, but I had never told her that, so I was so surprised and happy with the gift! Michelle knows me so well, and we think so alike! But it should be me giving Michelle the gifts - if it wasn't for her, Red and I wouldn't be here right now, earning titles. She has helped us SO much, not only with training, but with advice, guidance, and moral support, and coming to the shows that she's not even entered in, just to be there for us. She's become such a great friend, and I hope she knows how much I appreciate her!! *hugs*

The club had a photographer there, and I wanted to get a photo of Red and I getting our first Rally title. The judge was in it, too, and I think it will turn out really nice. I probably have the biggest grin in it, LOL! I'm getting an 8x10 mailed to me, but she will be emailing me a high res copy within the week, so I will be sure to post it when I get it.

Chatted with Lori a bit before she left. It was so nice of her to drive over to see Red compete! Another dog that Lori bred, Tuesday (Red's half sister), was there competing in Advanced for her RA title (which she got!), so Lori got to see that too. Lori won a big basket of stuff and a dog toy from a drawing she had entered, so even she didn't go home empty handed! I'm so glad she came and was able to see Red complete his first Rally title =) Thanks Lori!!

Then Michelle and I packed everything up and it was time to go. It was a little before 1:30pm when we left - so I was only there for a little over 1 hour and a half total! Talk about a FAST trial day! Phew!

Red and I stopped at McDonalds on the way home (I was starving and hadn't eaten lunch), and I got him a plain cheeseburger, which he LOVED! When I was unwrapping it, I was telling him what a good boy he was to earn this, and I swear he was thinking - "seriously? I get to have some of that?? Score!" The burger didn't last long, but he was one happy boy =) I think I might have to make that a ritual when coming home from a trial!

Anyway, I made Red pose with his winnings after we got home - the 2 ribbons (blue 1st place and green Qualifying), the mug we got for qualifying, two stuffies (one from me, the other from the club), and his RN patch and pin from Michelle =)

click to enlarge
Photobucket

And, of course, here is the video:

4 comments:

Kathie R said...

Congratulations Tab and Red. Great job! I've really enjoyed following your posts - on the the RA :)

TabLVT said...

Thank you, Kathie!! I really appreciate that. We have our first RA leg scheduled for next month, so hopefully we will have a good start on that as well =)

Lexxsmom said...

great work i'm so proud!!
I will continue to live vicariously through you and redders!! :)

TabLVT said...

Thanks, Leanne!!